Friday, January 5, 2018

:: Ruffle Sleeves & Check Print ::







::top/zara {similar}/ denim/articles of society {via wantable}, sunnies/zaful, earrings/zara {similar}, heels/nordstrom, monogram bracelet/moon & lola::
 
You've seen this outfit before, linked here but I wanted to talk  about the girl in these images and the recent changes she has made to her morning routine.
 
My entire life I have been thin with very, very little effort! I was born with a metabolism that can withstand 4 years of eating a bagel with nacho cheese, Doritos, and a Mountain Dew for lunch everyday in high school and still fit into a size 2 with next to no exercise. Gross! The poor thing was put thru even worse in my early twenties as I went out until all hours of the evening with my friends only to fourth meal it before dozing off but thanks to a retail job I walked it off most of the next day. And then one day, I got an office job and suddenly I was putting my metabolism thru the greatest work of its life which was not changing my eating habits and sitting all day.
 
When I was preparing for my wedding I started working out a few days a week just to tighten up because my dress was very form fitting and honestly I knew I needed to be more active. I LOVED the way I looked at my wedding, I felt great and when I look back at pictures I don't cringe at my exposed arms or bloated belly from too much champagne in the pool the entire week before. Oops. But then I saw these images and while I understand a ruffle sleeve tee and boyfriend jeans add volume I also know how I felt about myself the entire year leading up to these pictures being taken. I had a constant inner monologue with myself about how I don't want to obsess over everything I put in my mouth or constantly wonder how many steps I got in, I just wanted to live my life. But everyday when I got dressed I would feel instantly TERRIBLE! Some of my favorite jeans were uncomfortable, jackets felt tight on my arms, and black became my favorite color and to be honest will always be my favorite color to wear because I'm blonde it just looks chic AF. I was making excuses for being lazy and my self esteem imploded. Yes,  I added yoga to my routine in 2017 and I absolutely adore what yoga has done for my mood, my back, and my anxiety but it's not the strenuous work out I need based on my activity levels the rest of the day.
 
Well, my sweet baby angel kitten Win wakes me up promptly at 5a to be fed because she's a princess and most days I would throw food in her bowl and head right back to bed for an hour (sigh I miss that extra hour) but then after seeing these pictures I decided I needed a change. I would stay up at 5a and go down to our treadmill and do intervals, walk, power walk, or some kind of cardio followed by light strength training. There are so many apps out in the market that it's insane not to work out, you have a profesh trainer right in your phone! I've listed a few of my favorites below. I told my husband about my new routine and told him to gently keep my honest by encouraging me when I didn't miss a day and he has done such a great job! And a huge thank you to technology for making watching TV on the treadmill possible.
 
Be advised that all cardio is accompanied by an episode of The Office, New Girl or Friends.
 
Monday- brisk walk followed by light leg & butt strength training
Tuesday- intervals using the Running app, followed by chest and arms strength, and then after work 45 minute Flow Yoga class
Wednesday- depending on how I'm feeling I'll do running intervals or back to a brisk walk with back and shoulder strength training. Sometimes I go to Yoga
Thursday-intervals using the Running app, followed by butt, legs, and ab strength training and usually after work go to a 45 minute Relax Yoga class
Friday- intervals or brisk walk followed by a "trouble spot" strength training, so I work on an area of the body I think needs a little extra love which ends up being my arms most weeks 
Saturday- brisk walk followed by a Flow Yoga class in the morning
Sunday- rest but  I usually clean this day so I'm burning calories anyway

Favorite apps for iPhone

Running App
Fitness
Map My Run
MyFitnessPal

Another great motivator is my Apple iWatch Series 1 my Dad got me for Christmas!! For whatever reason, much like impressing a class instructor I am highly motivated to impress my watch. It gives me little celebrations when I complete a goal and positive reminders that I still have work to do, I love it!! I intend to do a full review on my (non technological, regular person) impression of the iWatch once I've had more time to get used to it.

So far, I haven't noticed a huge difference in a physical weight loss but the way I feel in my clothes has certainly gotten better and I REFUSE to let go of pieces in my closet that I love because I can't get active and be able to fit into them anymore. And I want to be clear this isn't about being a number on a scale or a certain size on a tag but feeling good about myself. Additionally- I love my photographer and she does an amazing job capturing not only my style but my personality as well so none of this has to do with her!! So there is my super chatty, recent changes that are kind of in the spirit of New Year, new me but since I started in 2017 I'm not really that different.

Images by Nicollette

xx

 


No comments:

Post a Comment